The Health & Wellness minor is to support and prepare individuals to make important health decisions that will optimize overall health and well-being through education, health promotion, coach instruction, and practical integrated experiences.
That mission is pursued through the following three-pronged approach:
- Educate/Health Promotion:
Provide comprehensive information relevant to fitness, nutrition, stress management/mindfulness, general health & wellness, and/or coaching styles
Explore coaching techniques and strategies used to guide self/others to determine and implement best practices for personal health and well-being. Apply coaching techniques in education and relevant practical experiences.
- Integrated/Practical Experiences
Participate in mini-clinical experiences to employ strategies that will foster self/client’s personal growth.
Themes for the Health and Wellness Minor
With the current needs and growing health concerns for today’s population, there is a definite need to arm individuals with the necessary tools and knowledge to educate themselves and others. Courses will reflect the content outlined by the National Wellness Institute to address national themes.
These themes are:
1. Wellness is a conscious, self-directed and evolving process of achieving full potential
2. Wellness is multidimensional and holistic, encompassing lifestyle, mental/emotional and spiritual well-being, and the environment
3. Wellness is positive and affirming
The minor consists of five core courses:
1. HES 160: Current Health & Wellness
2. HES 209: Functional Personal Conditioning
3. HES 225: Personal Nutrition
4. HES 351: Stress Management
5. HES 375: Coaching Leadership
Select HES and NUR courses may serve as equivalent for program completion